Sunday, September 25, 2011

Aston Martin DBS Build Journal Volume 5: Interior (WIP)

Having completed the chassis the previous week, I went ahead and started work on the car interiors this weekend.   First off was to spray the individual parts in “German Grey”.   While waiting for the paint to dry, I used the time to review some reference images of the DBS interior.

For this build I decided to have some fun and do some simple carpeting.  Usually an interior carpet effect is done by using really fine flocking powder.  Unfortunately I didn’t have any on hand; so I decided to use something easier to get a hold of, namely some felt paper.  Felt paper, in my opinion, is much easier to handle.  Gluing flocking material can get really messy and I wouldn’t want to accidentally apply the material in areas I didn’t need to cover with carpet.

Using some tape to trace a template for my carpet.

Here is the template used as my cutting guide.

The felt paper was cut slightly larger than my template.

Doing a final test fit.  Scoring the paper in preparation for the final trim.
 
The kit also came with a sheet of photo-etched parts.  These tiny metal parts add another level of detail to the finish product.  I had to attach a couple of these at the rear of the interior.


Things went well this weekend.   Hope my luck persists for the rest of the build.  Here is a picture of what I managed to finish.


Halfway there... Up next, the seats and dashboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment