Monday, August 29, 2011

Aston Martin DBS Build Journal Volume 1: Off to a Bad Start


Scale modelling has been one of my hobbies since my teens.  I’ve assembled several model kits throughout the years, ranging from cars, planes and military vehicles; all with varying results.  I have to admit I messed up quite a lot early on and built a few decent ones as my skills developed. At this point in time, I’ll probably classify myself somewhere between an intermediate and advanced modeller.  I still have a long way to go before being labelled an expert in this field, and have yet to make one product that I could really be proud of.  Problem with modelling is that it takes a lot of practice to improve one’s skills and with my office workload I rarely have time to indulge in this hobby of mine.

Today was a holiday and I had the opportunity to start working on my Aston Martin DBS kit.  I decided to do something simple first; assembling the wheels.  Pretty straightforward I should say, just pop in the rubber tires to the rims and we’re done.  It when I was applying decals to the wheel caps when things got frustrating.  I had a hard time setting the tiny Aston logos in place and it took me a while to finish the task. I also ended up ruining one of the decals in the process.  Not really a great way to start the project.

Damn those decals!  Wish they provided some spares.
I decided to do some painting next.  The model kit came with a sheet of pre-cut masking seal to be used for covering up parts of the windshields in preparation for spray painting.  After prepping the clear parts I went ahead with spraying the windshield trims, chassis, as well as a whole runner of parts in semi-gloss black.



This job went much smoother than my first task.  I decided to call it a night and quit while I’m ahead.  I had a tendency to mess up more often when rushing a project to completion.

What a relief! At least this one went well.
 More updates to come as I continue working on this car replica.

No comments:

Post a Comment